Dominica has a Skilled Labour Force
Dominica’s minimum wage was last raised in June 2008. It varies according to the category of worker, with the lowest minimum wage set at about US$1.33 an hour and the maximum set at around US$2.03 an hour. The standard workweek is 40 hours for five days of work. The law provides overtime pay for work in excess of the standard workweek
Dominica has a labour force of about 32,630 (2009) persons, with a literacy rate of 95%. The country’s technical and training needs are met largely by the local state college, which offer courses in skilled labour, including, plumbing, electrical engineering, air conditioning and refrigeration, masonry, carpentry, mechanical engineering, motor mechanics, typing and basic hotel skills. There is also a pool of professionals to draw from, in fields such as law, medicine, business information technology and accounting. Many of the professionals in Dominica trained in the Caribbean, the United States, Canada or the United Kingdom where, many of them gained work experience before returning to Dominica.
Investors will find workers anxious to learn and contribute towards the success of their venture.
LABOUR STANDARDS S.R.O. 10 Made by the Minister under Section 5(1) of the Labour Standards Act, Chapter 89:05
Occupation or Category Rate (EC$) US$ Agriculture and other unskilled workers 4.00 p/hr 1.48 p/hr Daily paid (factory and tourism) workers 4.50 p/hr 1.66 p/hr Juveniles/trainees 3.60 p/hr 1.33 p/hr Cashiers/Receptionist 5.50 p/hr 2.03 p/hr Sales persons/cashiers 5.50 p/hr 2.03 p/hr Shop Assistants 4.50 p/hr 1.66 p/hr Home Assistants (with meals) 125.00 p/wk 46.50 p/wk Home Assistants (without meals) 143.75 p/wk 53.00 p/wk Home Assistants (living in) 142.50 p/wk 52.50 p/wk Tourism/Hotels 8.16 p/hr 3.01 p/hr Call Centre 8.16 p/hr 3.01 p/hr
Normal working hours:
Maximum 8 hours per day, or 40 hours a week
In general, overtime remuneration is one and a half times the hourly pay for time normally worked in excess of 8 hours on normal working days; two times hourly pay for time worked on Sundays and on public holidays.
- Employee: 5.5% of wage to maximum of EC$270.00 – (US$100.00) per month
- Employer: 7% of the wage to maximum of EC$420.00 – (US$155.00) per month
- No. of public holidays: 12
- Vacation leave entitlement:
- less than five (5) years service – at least two (2) weeks/year
- five (5) or more years service – at least three (3) weeks/year
- Starting a Business
- Applying for Fiscal Incentives
- Work & Residency Permit
- Banking & Insurance
- Purchase of Land
- Economic Statistics
- By: Hermina ¦ On: 1st , Jul 2017Invest Dominica Authority recognises the mutually benef... Read More
- By: staff ¦ On: 31st , Jan 2017Invest Dominica Authority (IDA) is pleased to announce... Read More
- By: staff ¦ On: 18th , Dec 2016Please take note of some important reminders regarding... Read More